Hello friends, today we are going to talk about the difference between the AC motor and the DC motor.
An electric motor is a machine that converts electric energy into mechanical energy. As the supply is supplied to the input terminal of the motor, the motor produces a certain torque according to its characteristics according to its output.
The main function of the AC motor and DC motor is to convert electric energy into mechanical energy.
There are 3 main differences that we will discuss today:
1. The Main Difference Between The Two is The Power Source:
- An alternating current is given in the AC motor while a direct current is given in the DC motor.
2. The Second Main Distance Is a Brush:
- A carbon brush is used inside a DC motor while no such brush is used in an AC motor.
- This raises a question in your mind that the brush is also used in the AC sleep ring motor.
- But let me tell you that there is a big difference between the brush used in an AC sleep ring motor and the brush used in a DC motor.
Apart from this, one thing to keep in mind:
- The efficiency of the DC motor is low while the efficiency of the AC motor is high. As you mentioned above, DC motors have brushes that wear out over time and need to be replaced periodically. So it can be said from this that the maintenance of the DC motor is more.
- Due to this the efficiency of the DC motor decreases.
3. The Third Major Difference is Speed Control:
- The speed of the AC motor can be easily changed with the help of frequency while in the DC motor the current of the armature has to be increased or decreased to increase or decrease the speed.
Apart from this, the following differences are made based on its characteristics.
|Characteristics||AC Motor (Induction)||DC Motor|
|Supply||Operates on AC supply||Operates on DC supply|
|Starting||Single Phase requires starting torque but in 3 phase there is no such requirement||Self-starting|
|Supply system||Available in single-phase and 3 phase||Only a Single Phase is available|
|Speed control||Speed can be changed depending on the frequency||Speed can be changed depending on the armature winding|
|Brushes & Commutator||This type of motor has a long life as it does not have a brush and commuter||Having a brush and commutator reduces the speed and also shortens the life of the motor|
|Load change||Gives a slow replay||Gives a fairly quick replay|
|Maintenance||Requires less maintenance||More maintenance is required|
Like this post? Share it with your friends!
Suggested Read –
- Top 10 Best Transformer Company In India
- Squirrel Cage Induction Motor Working Principle & Applications
- What is Chemical Earthing | How They Do It | Advantages of Chemical Earthing
- Submersible Pump | Types Of Submersible Pump | Working Principle and Its Applications
- What are Conductors and Insulators | Examples Of Conductors and Insulators | Applications Of Conductors and Insulators