A friend of mine came to my house a short while ago and wanted to show me some photos and videos of the trip they took. They took note of the TV in my house and wanted to try using AirPlay.
I had a very long and secure password for my wifi which I did not want to share with them. That’s why I went home online for some research and learned how to use AirPlay to mirror the screen even without WiFi.
To play AirPlay without WiFi, enable Bluetooth and WiFi and select your AirPlay 2 compatible TV from the AirPlay States menu in the right corner of your Mac.
For your ios device, select it from the AirPlay button in Control Center and enter the code if prompted. Here’s how to turn off AirPlay without WiFi on most devices in the Apple ecosystem, how much data they use, the benefits, and how to troubleshoot in their respective sections.
How to AirPlay to Apple TV:
- Peer-to-peer AirPlay connects your iPad or iPhone to your TV without being on the same WiFi network.
- Your ios device will instantly turn into a Wi-Fi hotspot, and your tv will connect to it and airplay your image and video, and songs.
- Check that your iOS device and Apple TV are on the same WiFi network. Tap on Airplay in the corner of the video in question.
- If you’re in the Photos app, tap Share, then Airplay.
- In the list that pops up, select your Apple TV.
- To stop streaming, you can tap AirPlay in the app you’re using, then select your ios device from the list.
Suggested Read: Samsung TV Airplay Not Working: What to Do?
How to Airplay to an Airplay 2 Compatible TV:
If you have an AirPlay 2 compatible app, in all likelihood, everything is already configured to work out of the box.
If you’re also watching a video on a streaming app and you see an AirPlay icon, all you have to do is tap it and select your tv to start AirPlay.
You can also watch the code on tv. You need to type this code on your iOS device.
How to AirPlay off an iPhone:
Check that both your WiFi and Bluetooth are enabled on your iPhone because both of these are used to establish your AirPlay connection.
The initial connection is established using Bluetooth, and the video streaming is sent over WiFi. While watching a video stream on any video app, you can use AirPlay to stream it by tapping on the AirPlay icon.
How to Mirror Your iPhone Screen Using Airplay:
You can use peer-to-peer airplay without connecting directly to WiFi. Your AirPlay 2 compatible tv and iPhone use Bluetooth for the initial connection.
Next, WiFi is used for screen mirroring.
Follow the steps below to reflect your iPhone screen to your TV using AirPlay:
- Launch the control center and swipe from the right corner of the screen.
- Tap on screen mirroring.
- Select your Apple tv or AirPlay 2 compatible tv from the list of available devices.
- If you find a passcode on your tv, input it into your ios device.
To stop reflecting on your ios device, relaunch Control Center, tap Screen Mirroring, and tap Turn off Mirroring.
No device can be connected to another WiFi signal that has Internet service.
So if you want to stream content from your iPhone device and watch it on tv, it must be downloaded and stored on the iPhone’s local storage.
Suggested Read: Roku Airplay Not Working | How To Fix In Seconds 
How to Mirror Your Macbook Screen Using Airplay:
Here’s how to make your MacBook screen a mirror using AirPlay:
- If you’re also using a MacBook, you don’t need to check that you’re not connected to a wireless network with Internet access, as the computer has both WiFi and a wired connection.
- Wired connections are used for Internet access. While the wireless connection is used for airplay.
- In the upper right corner of the screen, click the AirPlay button in the menu bar and select your TV from the list of available devices.
- If you’re on a business-related trip, peer-to-peer airplay presentations are incredibly easy. It’s easy to get your slideshow on the big screen without having to plug it into your client’s network.
Do You Need Wi-Fi to AirPlay?
If you also need WiFi to use AirPlay to stream shows from streaming services on your iOS device.
If you want to airplay on tv, it is already in the local storage of your ios device. So you can use peer-to-peer airplay.
This creates a wireless hotspot from your ios device, which your tv can connect to and use.
If you want to stream content to local storage on your iPhone, and not from an online streaming service, you don’t need Wi-Fi in AirPlay.
Do You Need Wi-Fi To Mirror Your Screen?
You do not need to be connected to the Internet to mirror your screen. But you need to be able to connect to a temporary WiFi network created to connect your devices to screen mirroring.
That’s why you don’t need a WiFi router or internet connection. But both your devices must have a working Wi-Fi radio.
Suggested Read: Samsung TV Plus Not Working: What To Do?
Does AirPlay Use Data:
AirPlay can use Data if:
- You stream shows from streaming services on your ios devices to your tv while both are on the same network.
- You stream videos from your ios device to your tv, while your tv is connected to the personal hotspot of your ios device when mobile data is active.
AirPlay won’t use Data if:
- You use Peer-to-Peer AirPlay to stream videos from your ios device’s local storage to your TV.
- You use screen mirroring to reflect the screen of your ios device to your tv, while neither is connected to a Wi-Fi network.
What You Need for Peer-to-Peer AirPlay:
- Peer-to-peer AirPlay does not work well with every TV and ios device.
- If you are an Apple tv device, you will need the latest version of the Apple tv 3 revs.
- In this model, the code below will be A 1469.
- If you are not familiar with your model number, tilt the bottom of your Apple TV and inspect it properly.
- You can also find your Apple TV model number by going to Settings> General> About.
- Your Apple tv 3 must also be running tvOS version 7.0 or later installed. This functionality is supported by all Apple TV 4 models.
- You’ll also need an iOS device running iOS 8 or a more recent version of iOS than the 2012 Mac running on OS X 10.10.
Setting Up Peer-to-Peer AirPlay Without Wi-Fi:
- Click “Forget This Network” on your Mac or iOS device and TV.
- Check that WiFi and Bluetooth are turned on for both iOS devices or Mac and TV and restart both devices.
- AirPlay functionality is now expected to work on iOS devices or Macs.
To connect your device to the TV:
On your Mac, select your TV from the Airplay States menu in the menu bar in the upper right corner.
On ios devices, use the Control Center to link to AirPlay. Check for airplay buttons.
If requested, enter a 4 digit code on the ios device. You can see the 4 digit passcode on your tv. If you are using peer-to-peer for the first time, it may take a few minutes.
Troubleshooting AirPlay on Apple TV:
If you’re also having trouble connecting your Apple TV, follow the steps below:
- Turn on Bluetooth and WiFi in your ios system.
- Turn on Bluetooth on your Apple TV.
- Restart your Apple TV. You will see the LED light glow. If the Apple TV Lite starts flashing instead. So you may need to do a factory reset of your Apple TV.
- From your ios system, select Control Panel and select Apple TV Mirroring.
- Your Apple TV will need to turn on the ‘Device Verification Requirements’ setting (Settings> AirPlay).
If it couldn’t connect, you can try the following:
- Update all your Apple TV and iOS devices to the latest operating system.
- Then restart your iOS device and Apple TV with Bluetooth and WiFi turned on.
- Enable AirPlay on your Apple TV and then enable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on your iPad or iOS device.
- Disabling your WiFi network in your device while your WiFi is on You have to “forget” the home network from your iPad.
If you’re signing in to the same iCloud account in both systems, there will be no security to prevent strangers from connecting to your tv.
If you’re not signed in to the same iCloud account, you’ll need to enter the 4-digit PIN that Apple TV makes.
Suggested Read: Samsung TV Volume/Sound Not Working: FIXED
Advantages of Peer-to-Peer AirPlay:
Peer-to-peer allows you to share and enjoy media with relatives and coworkers in the comfort of your own home, and you do not need to log in to your home WiFi network.
Visitors to your home can pull up their iPad or iPhone, hit AirPlay, and connect directly to your tv. In addition, AirPlay has the ability to play at greater distances between devices than Bluetooth.
Even when the internet connection is down, you can use AirPlay to view music, images, and videos. This means that anyone or even your friends can easily show you their photos and video and music streams. This also does everything without sign-in of any kind in your wifi network.
Peer-to-peer AirPlay works using Bluetooth for requests and navigation and then provides a point-to-point Wi-Fi link for data transfer without using any network.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Can AirPlay be used without Wi-Fi?
If you also need WiFi to use AirPlay to stream shows from streaming services on your iOS device. If you want to airplay on tv, it is already in the local storage of your ios device. So you can use peer-to-peer airplay. This creates a wireless hotspot from your ios device, which your tv can connect to and use.
How do I AirPlay from iPhone to TV without Wi-Fi?
How to Set Up Peer-to-Peer AirPlay
- Forget the WiFi network on your iOS device and Apple TV.
- Turn on both WiFi and Bluetooth on your iOS device and Apple TV.
- Restart your iOS device and Apple TV.
- AirPlay will now work on an iOS device or Mac.
- Go to the Control Center and click the AirPlay button to link to AirPlay.
Can you mirror your phone to TV without WIFI?
Screen Mirroring Without Wi-Fi:
Therefore, no Wi-Fi or internet connection is required to reflect your phone screen to your smart TV. (Miracast only supports Android, not Apple devices.) Similar results can be achieved using an HDMI cable.
Can you stream without Wi-Fi?
You can also mirror an Android device’s display on a Chromecast streaming stick without using Wi-Fi.
Like this post? Could you share it with your friends?
Suggested Read –
- Disney Plus Not Working on Samsung TV: Try These Fixes 2021
- What is Electrical Grounding? | How does electrical grounding work?
- What Is DC Motor? | DC Motor’s Working Principle | Speed Control of DC Motor
- Difference Between Single Phase and Three Phase AC Power Supply | Single Phase Vs. Three Phase
- What is an Ideal Transformer? | Working Principle of Ideal Transformer | Advantages of Ideal Transformer
Final Thoughts on AirPlay:
Using Peer-to-Peer AirPlay, it’s easy to link your ios device to your tv. Present easily at your workplace or at a customer’s visit by connecting your ios device wirelessly to your tv.
You can watch a movie with your child and family on a road trip by linking your tv and ios device to the screen of your car.
There are still some drawbacks. Peer-to-peer AirPlay does not work for YouTube streams, Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO, Showtime. Everything else will work fine even if you do not have an internet connection.
But the best part is that peer-to-peer works with any content that is already saved on your Mac or iOS device, such as downloaded files, photographs, presentations, or songs.
So download and transfer content before entering Peer-to-Peer Airplay for an easy viewing experience.